The FAAC has evolved through several decades of intensive volunteer work by parents and other community leaders dedicated to fine arts education in the Mercer Island School District (MISD). With thorough research and tireless advocacy, volunteer members of FAAC’s predecessor organizations – the Music and Visual Arts Advisory Committees, formed respectively in the late 1950’s and 1970’s – proposed, promoted and achieved implementation of several key components of our schools’ fine arts programming, including:
- Full time MISD Music (now Fine Arts) Coordinator position
- District-wide annual fine arts celebration and fundraiser: Showcase
- Art Docents and Artists-in-Residence programs
- Inclusion of the fine arts as core subjects in MISD educational goals for all grade levels
- Donation of funds to establish full time Visual Arts Teacher serving all three elementary schools starting in the 2012-2013 school year.